Sunday, March 02, 2014

Money

I am thinking perhaps of participating in my first auction, but struggling to understand how to price my work. I've heard there are a few methods- hours worked + materials, square foot + materials, how much you like the customer...

          "How much should I cost?"
   "Sebastian" oil, 2014, 24 x 36 inches

I have only ever sold smaller paintings, 1x1 foot commissions at $70, and have found nothing but success with the accessibility of my pricing- but in the same vein, being a professional working artist is something my spirit needs to flourish, and for that reason I should probably start thinking about money.

"Consider this face permanently installed until I make some money."

I am wondering if, as an artist, it is wrong to think about money? In this generation of booming connectivity, of simple sites like etsy and eBay to forums tightening the gap between continents and generations, is it so wrong to present yourself as a business when you make "art"?

When for only a pittance, any artist could promote themselves in a never ending digital marketplace? With no consent of gallery curators (with questionable, self-gratifying agendas) nor galleries (who will suck 50% of your blood and still charge you a rental fee) can you make yourself into something... Recognized? Important? Profitable?

    "I hope so, because otherwise no smiling. Ever. Again."

I feel as if something big is coming, and it has to do with all of these ideas. I feel as if maybe my arms are strengthening in ready for a big climb. Hopefully... Up.

More soon,
C.



No comments:

Post a Comment