Monday, March 17, 2014

Inspiration

Inspiration is one of those things that I know a lot of artists struggle with. I see it especially frustrating when students are in upper level classes and suddenly face assignments without closed quarters. I know it scared me a bit as well, but I have figured out my personal formula. In that, I believe inspiration is something that never really comes and goes.

Yes, there are those days you will push out a masterpiece followed by a day of slogging through poorly drawn feet.

   "I hate when it comes to the feet."

In progress. 2014, 9' x12' pastel & pencil.

I think every moment, especially those moments where you find something your stuck on, is important to your work. The reason you can't do it is because you haven't learned it yet. To become an expert you must master all things, even feet.

For me, getting into a groove can be simple. I make a space for art. I always set things up the same way, and put on some music (usually the same kind). I burn incense. I draw or build. I look at art online. 

I think for me it's just setting aside this special corner for art in my mind, which isolates it and forces me to think. YES, it's work that I have to finish, but I want it more than anything so I'll do it.

In the scheme of things, each foot drawn is a challenge accepted. Each polished line, each piece completed is like an inch forward in the road to something I need. If you ignore these moments where inspiration is "lost", you won't see the leaps and bounds you're taking. Struggle, fight, be brave, and brace yourself. You will get through this and you will learn something from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment