Thursday, March 27, 2014

Manganese Blue Hue

My favourite colour, to paint with right now, is Manganese Blue Hue.

               Mmmmmm, juicy.

I happened upon this colour in a Gamblin starter set, and I suppose it's based on some old, toxic colour that disappeared for awhile. I had the same experience with my beloved Flake White (which used to be full of lead) and now I'm starting to think I am attracted to things which could potentially kill me one day.

The reason I am posting about some colour, is that people seem to comment most on the coloration of my works. 

I've always gravitated towards certain types of work with a juicy type of luminescence. I feel that pastels have a glow. All of my under paintings are done in a pale colour, very thinly, and I like to work up into the darks. I like to do this because I'm interested in the transparency of the layers of oil paint.

Without any technical understanding of colour theory, I began by looking at my favourite colourists and wondering how they worked. One artist who inspired me deeply was Mark Ryden, who isolated himself with white during the Snow Yak Show and used only bits of very pale colour. 

       "Long Yak" Mark Ryden, 2008.

I believe this lead him into his signature tonal style, which has shone through his work since. When I first saw his work, it was still beautiful enough to capture me, and as a preteen I obsessed over a CD cover he'd designed for Jack Off Jill- but I would say the Snow Yak Show was a discipline based exercise that created some of his best work.

For that reason, I am isolating myself (as a colourist). I have been for awhile, and I think it's working. I haven't forced myself into the same paleness as Mark Ryden, but I'm sacrificing things... I only really let myself pick a few colours and white. Right now my paintings are about the red family- a consistent mix of oranges, reds, and pinks that remind me of the sugary Kool-Aid I drank as a kid. Then there's white- and when I get to really important parts, I use Manganese Blue Hue.

    Angels singing, trumpets and stuff!

It's like magic. Wherever I place it, colour comes to life. When I mix it, I notice things I didn't notice before. It's the secret ingredient in an Italian grandmother's recipe (it's more Garlic). I am madly in love with a colour, but I know it's only sheer luck. I know if I use it too much it'll become tasteless like a favourite food- eaten too often.

It will be fleeting, I know my love will disappear one day if I ever leave this family of colours... But for now, it's a fresh new romance.

If my boyfriend reads this, I still love you, but can you be my Manganese Blue Hue?

Sincerely,
C.








No comments:

Post a Comment